Wednesday 26 February 2014

The journey

I'm 33 years old and I still think everything can be achieved overnight. That's how I tackle everything I do. I start something and expect amazing results NOW! Diets, training, studies... sobriety. I have to remember that last time I decided to do something about my drinking it took about 6-9 excruciating months to get to my first sober day. That's a long time of trial and error for someone who wants it all yesterday.

I can't predict how long it's going to take this time. I'm a different person, my drinking is different and the circumstances have changed dramatically. Despite the aching liver, persistent cough and general tiredness, I actually feel optimistic. I have made the decision to embark on the journey of getting and staying sober after a long time of not really knowing what I was doing or where I was going. The inconvenient truth is that if I carry on drinking I might as well give up on my dreams and aspirations. I knew that 4 years ago when I got sober last time, and I know it now.

1 comment:

  1. Great to see you back Anath!! I also have been involved in "research" for quite some time. Hopefully, we can both make it through this time.

    ReplyDelete